La Serena 8th December 2023. At the beginning of November, fishermen's and environmental organizations (1) from the coastal villages of the municipality of La Higuera, together with Alianza Humboldt, hosted an event on "the community for the Humboldt Archipelago Marine Protected Area with different uses". The aim of the small conference was to discuss the role and responsibility of citizens in the upcoming design of the Marine Conservation Zone (AMCP-MU). Representatives of fishermen, environmental organizations, water committees and the indigenous Changos community (1) were invited. Around 40 people took part and the event was sponsored by the Bergzoo in Halle.
The 4 presentations addressed various aspects:
1. the long and difficult process of enforcing the Marine Protected Area,
2. the future management plan for the marine protection zone,
3. the community's responsibility for marine protection using the example of Juan Fernandez Island and
4. the importance of communication in the design of the marine protection zone. After the presentations, the participants formed two working groups. One group discussed the advantages of the AMCP-MU, the other the problems to be expected when implementing it.
The conclusion was positive. The participants were very satisfied with the information provided and the course of the discussion. It was agreed that the discussions on the design of the marine protection zone, especially on the participation of citizens, should be deepened in further meetings (see also "Projects Chile" from November 23 and December 9).
(1) gremios de pescadores, sindicatos de buzos y mariscadores, recolectores de Orillas, productores agrícolas, agrupaciones culturales y turísticas, ONG ambientales, juntas de Vecinos, comunidades de pueblos orginarios Changos, comités de agua rural de La Higuera y Freirina
Fishing guilds, diver and mussel fishermen's unions, seaweed collectors, farmers, cultural and tourism groups, environmental NGOs, neighborhood organizations, indigenous Chango communities, rural water committees of La Higuera and Freirina.
translated by Claudia Fawer